2 Sep 2020 Invaluable Clinical Experiences of a Nursing Student

Nursing has always been my passion as I always looked forward in ensuring every patient gets the best care when they are not in the pink of health. Being down with a sickness or a chronic disease will never be easy for anyone especially when they are in pain, away from their homes and comfort zone. This is when a nurse’s role kicks in, to provide support, the best care and motivation for the patient. As I enrolled myself in my nursing degree, clinical postings were something I looked forward to every semester as I always loved hands-on experiences on real patients, performing different procedures, engaging with different kinds of patients and enhancing my clinical skills. I did come across various kinds of diseases, patients, treatments, and care given. There were pleasant and unpleasant experiences, however its always the lessons learned that is of utmost important.

IMU's Nursing Division celebrates Nurses’ Day by giving back to the community at Rumah Victory, Puchong.

One of my patients that I can vividly remember is an elderly man in his late 70s. He was in his last stage of stomach cancer and did not have any family members around for him as his children were working overseas and his wife had passed away. All he had then was the healthcare members for him while being warded. As I was providing care for him, he then told me something that he terribly regrets. He then told me that he was never fond of his children pursuing nursing as a career. I was then curious on the statement said and then asked him his reasons on that statement. He said that he always looked at nursing as a ‘dirty job’ and a job that would lead to them contracting various diseases. However, when he started being admitted in the hospital it was then that he realised that nurses play such an important role in healthcare. He then added that “without the nurses around I wouldn’t be sure if I’ll be alive today as they were the ones looking out for me and taking care of me when I was unable to do things on my own”. He also said that ever since then, he always encourages youths to pursue their studies to become a nurse in the near future. From this incident, I then realised that standing by the quote of “it’s not about how much money you make, it’s about how much difference you make in someone’s life” is something very important to hold on to for a nurse.

Nursing is one of the most satisfying, in-demand and secure jobs in many countries right now. Having said that, being a nurse is definitely not an easy task that anyone could take up as a career. It is a very challenging job that requires hard work, dedication and kindness but the non-fungible fulfilling experiences of helping people who are sick and in need is what money really can’t buy. Lastly, it is not only about how good or competent you are at your clinical skills. Patience, love, perseverance and compassion should also come in a package of becoming a competent and most importantly, a caring nurse.

Written by IMU Nursing student Rachel Netto, Edited by Chow Suh Hing & Dr Lim Swee Geok

2 Sep 2020|Nursing, People, Programmes, Students|15 Comments

15 Comments

1. BITLIAN YEE 2 Sep 2020 at 10:40 PM - Reply

Rachel, very touching reflective account. I am glad that you touched someone’s heart already!

2. Chang Woan Ching 3 Sep 2020 at 8:08 AM - Reply

Thanks for sharing, Rachel. A valuable experience in nursing that money cannot buy! Well Done.

3. Radha Maniam 3 Sep 2020 at 8:52 AM - Reply

Racheal, your refelction reflects who you are. I am very proud of you. Continue your passion and you will touch so many lives. God Bless

4. TAN SEEW GEEK 3 Sep 2020 at 10:04 AM - Reply

Very well said as a competent nurse. That is the most important attributes of a nurse.

5. Rienzi 3 Sep 2020 at 2:05 PM - Reply

It is good that u found ur true calling! Praise the Lord you can see n feel salient points of this noble profession! Congrats proud of you!

6. Hishmietaa Moorthy 3 Sep 2020 at 3:21 PM - Reply

Pursuing your passion with full of love. Rock it girl. I’m so proud of you !!!!

7. Zelda Fernandez 3 Sep 2020 at 3:39 PM - Reply

A passion I always had as a teenager.
    Now I am so proud my daughter has fulfilled it.
    Indeed very proud of you, Rachel.
    The satisfaction you feel after helping those in need is important and should be your ultimate goal.
    Keep up the good work my child.

8. Zelda Fernandez 3 Sep 2020 at 3:43 PM - Reply

Proud of you, my daughter!
    The satisfaction you feel helping those in need is important and should be your ultimate goal.
    Keep up the good work my child.

9. Prethigesen 3 Sep 2020 at 3:46 PM - Reply

A very inspiring read that portrays your passion in nursing.Very proud of you.Keep up the good work and all the best in your future endeavours Rachel.

10. Jeevikka 3 Sep 2020 at 10:10 PM - Reply

Such a valuable and meaningful story which is very inspiring.Glad that you’re doing it with full hearted.God bless you and keep rocking akka

11. N. Sathiabama 3 Sep 2020 at 10:37 PM - Reply

You are great , dear.
    Words are insufficient to describe about you and your passions.
    I really admire you….. Wish you all the best for today ,tomorrow and forever

12. Gerardine nelly Pereira 3 Sep 2020 at 11:41 PM - Reply

Well said Rachel. You have the passion and caring nature to pursue your love of nursing. The care and concern you have, always shows us and reflects on you and it relates most suitably to this passion you have in nursing. Congrats on choosing nursing as your care for sick and suffering.

13. Gerardine nelly Pereira 3 Sep 2020 at 11:47 PM - Reply

Congrats Rachel for choosing nursing to care for the sick and suffering. It truly reflects on your natural way you care for everyone around you. So proud of you. You can achieve your dream and passion.

14. Nhivetha Amaresh 7 Sep 2020 at 9:41 AM - Reply

Inspiring !! I’m so proud of you Rachel !!!

15. Charlotte Netto 16 Sep 2020 at 5:18 PM - Reply

Knowing your vocation and always delivering with passion, way to go rachel! Proud of you????